A Gua sha facial treatment is a great way to give your skin that much-needed pampering and a good facial oil makes the session more relaxing and effective. While there are many brands available on the market, today, we’ll be highlighting five of these to help you decide which is the best oil for gua sha.
Top 5 Oils For Gua Sha Facials
Why Use Oil With Your Gua Sha Treatment?
Once you’ve settled with your desired scraping tool, picking the right oil to use with gua sha treatments is the next important step before you proceed.
Gua sha movements and facial oils go hand in hand. Choosing the right kind of oil will give just the perfect amount of lubrication for the gua sha stone to glide smoothly over your skin without tugging or pulling it. The oils also provide moisture and additional nutrients to the skin.
If the skin isn’t lubricated enough before you begin, there’s always the risk of you damaging it.
Applying facial oil help avoid irritation and scratches, especially for those with particularly sensitive skin. It’s also recommendable for those who have dry or dull skin and need to lock in the moisture.
Another important aspect of finding the right facial oil is figuring out which oils are compatible with your skin type. Some oils can cause a negative/allergic reaction to the skin, so knowing which will work best for the treatment is best.
Commonly Used Oils For Gua Sha Treatments
The following oils are commonly used for gua sha treatments and other skin-related purposes. Each is replete with its nutrients and benefits, making the treatment more effective.
- Argan oil – Using argan face oil helps hydrate your face, reduce pigmentation and regulate the production of sebum. Rich in vitamin E content, it can also help promote improved blood circulation, which results in healthier, softer, and stronger hair growth.
- Grapeseed oil – If you’re oily-skinned, grapeseed oil is perfect for you. It’s light on the skin, so it doesn’t give a heavy, sticky feel. This oil helps prevent oily skin while keeping your skin moisturized at the same time. You can either use grapeseed face oil as it is or along with your regular moisturizer.
- Hemp seed oil – Hemp seed oil gives your skin feel firm, supple, bright, and hydrated. At the same time, it does not clog your pores and retains moisture on your face. This oil is particularly recommendable for people with dry, rough, and flaky skin.
- Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil is an extremely effective natural moisturizer and is famous for its healing properties in relieving skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It mimics the skin’s natural sebum and thus balances out your skin’s oil production. Like grapeseed oil, it’s also lightweight and moisturizes your face without feeling too heavy and sticky.
- Rosehip oil – Rosehip oil is an ideal option when you want to target wrinkles, dark spots, and skin pigmentation. Thanks to its rich antioxidant properties and essential fatty acids, it also has acne-fighting properties that can eliminate blemishes.
- Shark liver oil – Shark livers contain an oil known as squalene, known for its moisturizing and restorative properties. Squalene helps prevent moisture loss, diminish the appearance of fine lines, and prevent wrinkles. It’s also known to increase the spreadability and absorption of creams and lotions.
- Squalane oil – A derivative of squalene, squalane is also a lightweight moisturizer. It leaves the skin hydrated, supple, and luminous and helps reduce skin inflammation and fine lines. The composition is quite similar to the skin’s own oil; it tends to provide just the right amount of moisture.
- Sweet almond oil – Being rich in vitamins A and E, sweet almond oil keeps the skin cells healthy, protects your skin from UV radiation damage, and helps your skin look smooth, soft, and free of fine lines. The fatty acids help the skin retain moisture and heal chapped and irritated skin.
Here are some of the best gua sha oils we’ve curated based on their popularity and benefits.
Best Oil For Gua Sha – The List
1. Slick Skin Gua Sha Serum – SACHEU Beauty
SACHEU Beauty’s SLICK SKIN serum is a facial-massage slip agent specially manufactured with deeply moisturizing properties and nutrients that help nourish the skin and help make facial massage treatments like gua sha more comfortable and effective.
SLICK SKIN contains plant-derived glycoceramides and sphingolipids, both highly functional ingredients that replenish lipids lost due to aging, lifestyle, and the elements. The product includes vegan squalane, which mimics natural sebum and deeply nourishes and replenishes the skin and protects against transepidermal water loss, where the water passes through the skin’s layers into the air and evaporates. It also restores critical moisture balance and helps the skin maintain it.
The product’s upgraded packaging includes a secure dropper and fresh chrome packaging to match the beauty tools made from stainless steel. It’s also fragrance and alcohol-free.
- Made with clean, quality ingredients
- Light on the skin
- Easy absorption
- 100% safe and secure checkouts
- Provides fast shipping all over the world
- Quick and easy returns
Made for all skin types. No age restrictions
How To Use
Slick Skin is best used with facial massage tools (such as the SACHEU Beauty roller and gua sha) as a slip agent.
If you have oily skin or live in a humid climate: It can be used as the last step of your skincare routine as a moisturizer. Those who have dry skin or live in a dry climate can use the serum before applying their moisturizer. It can also be mixed in with moisturizer for a more occlusive barrier.
2. OUTCREASE Retinol Trifecta Serum – Dermelect
OUTCREASE’s Retinol Trifecta Serum combines three active forms of retinol and other nutrients into one whole treatment to help restore the skin’s natural glow, suppleness, and smoothness.
What do these active forms have to offer the skin? First, retinol, or pure vitamin A helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improves the skin tone, and softens rough patches on the skin. Retinol palmitate, a combination of retinol and palmitic acid, is noted for its antioxidant and protective properties, which help purify toxins from the skin, smoothen uneven texture, and eliminate dark spots. And lastly, retinyl acetate, which promotes collagen synthesis, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and clears the pores.
The serum is also 100% vegan and GMO-free. It’s manufactured ethically and steers clear from animal testing.
- Uses quality, scientifically-backed ingredients
- 100% vegan and GMO-free
- Avoids animal testing
- Gentle on the skin
- Provides fast, free shipping
- The feel may not be comfortable for some users
Universal treatment – for all skin types
How To Use
Apply to cleansed skin in the morning and evening, a drop to each cheek, forehead, chin, and under eyes. Smooth on and allow for the serum to penetrate before applying creams. Use 2-3 times per week, gradually increasing frequency as tolerated.
3. Essential Hydrating Oil – Osea
Osea’s Essential Hydrating Oil has been a classic for skincare enthusiasts for 25 years now, and for good reason, since its expertly-made nourishing blend of eight essential oils visibly plumps the skin and greatly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The ingredient blend features essential oils that bring important benefits to the skin;
bergamot fruit oil, for example, contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that work best against cysts and acne; lavender oil gently moisturizes skin and heals acne breakouts,
geranium flower oil actively boosts skin’s health and natural glow, and rosewood oil strengthens and regenerates the skin, helping reduce stretch marks, wrinkles, fine lines, acne, and even scars.
You won’t have to worry about product safety since the ingredients are clean and natural. It’s also 100% vegan and cruelty-free as Osea adheres to an ethical manufacturing approach.
- Uses clean ingredients
- 100% vegan
- Gentle and light on the skin
- The serum’s smell might not be pleasing to some people.
- Expensive considering the amount.
All skin types, especially sensitive ones.
How To Use
After cleansing the skin, apply to the face and neck for a dewy glow. Move around the lips to soften lines. Use every morning and night.
4. 100% Squalane Oil – Biossance
Biossance’s 100% Squalane Oil is a sustainable, vegan multitasking serum that hydrates more effectively from head to toe to hydrate and lock in essential moisture the skin needs to have its supple, youthful glow.
Due to its emollient properties, squalane helps hydrate and moisturize the skin to make it softer, smoother, and firmer. It prevents damage from prolonged exposure to the sun, which can have a premature aging effect on the skin. Squalane helps other active ingredients penetrate the skin deeper to maximize their effects and promotes microbiome diversity for healthier-looking skin.
Unlike most squalane oil brands, the squalane Biossance uses is derived from sustainable sugarcane, a purer, vegan, more ethical, and more effective version than other forms of squalane than those sourced from shark livers. At the same time, opting for this vegan source helps save 2 million of these critical apex predators per year.
- Uses alternative sources of squalane
- 100% vegan
- Light and gentle on the skin
- Relatively affordable compared to similar products
- Does not specify which skin type it works best on.
- May cause adverse reactions to some skin types
- The feel may not be pleasing to some users.
Not explicitly specified.
How To Use
Rub a small amount of pure squalane oil together between hands to warm. Pat gently onto the face, neck, and décolleté (neckline).
5. The Serum I – Herbal Face Food
Herbal Face Food’s The Serum I combines the power and benefits of 25 of the world’s most expensive plant concentrates into one powerful antioxidant, anti-aging skincare serum on the market to help reveal the skin in the peak of its glory.
The serum contains powerful phyto enzymes and antioxidants that are activated and infused into the tissues to hydrate, increase resiliency, and plump up the skin. It also creates a relaxing dermal warming experience (Thermo-phytochemical reaction) that allows plant nutrients to seep into the skin to create an anti-aging effect, facilitate cellular generation, promote skin elasticity and resiliency, and restore collagen and elastin to the dermis.
Apart from its effects on the skin, breathing the serum’s unaltered plant scents help relax and calm the mood. The scents flow through your body to boost your energy, stimulate your mind, and enhance your memory and focus.
- 100% vegan
- 100% organic/wildcrafted
- Synthetic fragrance-Free
- Ethically sourced
- The serum’s smell might be overwhelming for some users.
- Relatively expensive
Great for all skin types and sensitive skin.
How To Use
Shake the bottle before using. Shaking the bottle allows the serum to mix and activate the ingredients, allowing maximum potency and efficiency. Pour an ample amount between your hands, then massage and press the serum deep into the pores. Apply morning and night.
Use at least twice weekly to exfoliate dead skin cells and clear away pores’ oil, dirt, and residue for visible optimal results.
Facial oils are generally safe for use, and while the oils provide a relaxing effect on the skin during a massage/gua sha treatment, they can still cause discomfort and even some minor side effects.
Some facial/essential oils do contain some compounds that may cause irritation and sensitization in the skin, especially when the skin comes in contact with the air. Others may experience sudden breakouts if they are particularly sensitive. Accidental contact with the eyes can cause redness, irritation, or pain.
Before trying out any kind of facial oil, we recommend doing a patch test prior to see if you are particularly sensitive to the product. If irritation occurs, consult a dermatologist immediately. It’s also important to follow a product’s usage instructions to prevent possible side effects from overuse.
Using facial oils with your gua sha treatment provides the skin with added nourishment, hydration, and moisture that will greatly benefit it and make the therapy more effective. Not only that, but they also make the scraping process a lot smoother, safer, and more comfortable to complete.
While many brands are available on the market, the product that will bring out the best in you will depend on your skin type and the goal you want to achieve, so it’s best to research which oils can do the job and if you’re compatible with it. Doing so can help yield your desired results faster.
When in doubt, always ask a dermatologist for expert advice and recommendation.
Gua Sha For Double Chin